The 2019 WELLS FARGO Cinco De Mayo Fiesta!
Sioux Falls – Falls Park
Saturday, May 11th
11:00 am – 7:00 pm
FREE for all ages!
Proceeds go to benefit the support of Caminando Juntos ministries of the Presentation Sisters.
Cinco de Mayo is a family event that brings together the business and civic community of Sioux Falls and the surrounding area to recognize, appreciate and celebrate the cultural gifts and heritage of the Latino people in our midst. While observing this traditional Mexican holiday, Cinco de Mayo in Sioux Falls creates awareness of and develops pride in the diverse Latino cultures that make up our community. Latino food, dance, art, music, children’s activities and more make this a festive and fun family day. It is a benefit for Caminando Juntos, an outreach ministry to the newly arrived Latino immigrants in the Sioux Falls area. This ministry is sponsored by the Presentation Sisters.
Brief History of the Fiesta:
The 2019 Cinco de Mayo Falls Park Fiesta will celebrate the 12th anniversary, presented by Wells Fargo to recognize and celebrate the cultures and traditions of the growing Latino population in the Sioux Falls community and the surrounding area. Each year the Fiesta has grown to include more offerings of food, music, activities and other displays as well as participants.
Since its beginning in Sioux Falls, the Cinco de Mayo Falls Park Fiesta has served as a benefit for the ministries of the Presentation Sisters at Caminando Juntos.
What Is Caminando Juntos:
Caminando Juntos, meaning walking together, is the name of the Presentation Sisters’ ministry among the Hispanic people in the Sioux Falls, South Dakota, area. This ministry, which began in 2002, continues to grow as the population in Sioux Falls and the surrounding area becomes more diverse. In February 2006 Caminando Juntos was Recognized by the Board of Immigration Appeals and Sister Janet Horstman was Accredited to provide legal immigration services. In January 2011 Caminando Juntos expanded its offices, reception and waiting areas to better serve the needs of their guests at this growing ministry. Services provided include:
- Assistance to accessing healthcare, education, legal and social service systems
- Accompaniment of women and children in abusive relationships
- Visitation to homes, hospitals and state penitentiary
- Education through English classes and citizenship preparation
- Provision of immigration counseling and services by an Accredited Immigration Specialist
- Promotion of human rights for Latinos
Caminando Juntos provee las siguientes areas de servicio paralos inmigrantes Latinos en Sioux Falls:
- Asistencia para el acceso a sistemas del cuidado, de la salud, educación, legal y servicio social
- Acompañamiento a mujeres y niños/niñas en situaciones de abuso doméstico
- Visitas a hogares, hospitales, y la prisión del estado
- Educación con clases de Inglés, computadora en español, y preparación para la ciudadanía
- Acreditada a ofrecer servicios de inmigración por una Especialista en inmigración
- Promoción de los derechos humanos para inmigrantes Latinos
For more information on Caminando Juntos visit the website by clicking HERE